Geography Matter!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011









(Sorry for not putting the pictures in order)



My group, which group members were me, Kimberley Lim & Jia Yu, grew our plants at the 'greenhouse' in school, just like everyone else. We grow four different types of plants. They were the Bayam, Chilli Padi, Kang Kong and the Japanese Cucumber.


The first week of growing our plant:


I went down to the 'greenhouse' to check on our plants once in a while. During those times, all our plants seemed to be growing strong and healthy.


The second week:


I did not check the plant for the next few days then, as I kept on going off for tennis. When I checked on it on one of those days, our Chilli Padi and Bayam were still growing quite well. However, I was shocked to see our Kang Kong and part of our Japanese Cucumber dying. Kimberley and I then decided to pull out those dead parts/plants and grow new ones, but to no avail. We poured more water and nutrients as we thought the plants died due to wilting. Next, Kimberley and I moved our plants to another part of the 'greenhouse' so that the plant would receive lesser sunlight (lesser but still sufficient) as we thought that this was the other reason why our plants died.


The next few weeks....:


Before I knew it, Term 1 came to an end, and so did our assignment. Even though the new seeds that we planted did not grow at all throughout all those weeks, I am proud to say that our group's Bayam is still gowing tall and healthy to this day (as you can see in the top picture).



Through this assignment, I learnt that it is not easy to grow plants. Therefore, I also think that subsistence farming is quite difficult too. Farming takes alot of time, attention and care so that the plants will grow well.


I would also like to thank Kimberley and Jia Yu for being such awesome group mates. I would not have been able to succeed in growing the Bayam without their help.

2 Comments:

  • At April 8, 2011 at 8:37 AM , Anonymous Tabitha Chiam said...

    How do you think the farmers were able to deal with unsuccessful crops? The plants which you have grown are individual, but the farmers grow it in hundreds. Good job!

     
  • At April 18, 2011 at 6:13 AM , Blogger Samantha lye:) said...

    What are some advantages and disadvantages of hydrophonics plants? Is it visible to Singapore?
    -Samantha lye:)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home